Solitary Meanderer

Thursday, March 23, 2006

Mixed Feelings - I

This Tuesday, I compered the meeting at the local Toastmasters club. This was the third time when I actually compered any meeting. I spoke about ‘what really is meant by the word communication’ and ‘snap judgments’. The former topic is based on a lecture ‘Success Through Communication’, which I attended at the Dianetics & Scientology Society of New Delhi whereas the latter one is based on the latest book I read aka Blink. And following are the comments and suggestions that I got from the fellow toastmasters.

Nice theme to pick up. You were brief & concise and did not upstage any speaker or presenter. Your presentations here as a speaker or in any other role are always enjoyable.
- Divya Goel

Courageous Work! Quite well-done! Work a bit on introductions rather than talking about your personal interests. Fuse interest with introductions & you will come out a winner each time.
- Vikram

You were good. It had humor. You had excellent topics to discuss but what perhaps you could have done better was better organization and gelling your discussion with what the speakers had to say.
- Shailaja

At times u were disconnected or disjointed. Try to be more accommodative of what the speeches were about. Otherwise, you did a wonderful job.
- Vasanti

My comment: Well, I deliberately did not practice or rehearse my role for this time I really wanted to be spontaneous. Because by doing this, I was not trying to remember anything and spoke whatever came to my mind, of course related to the theme I had prepared. And so, at times I was thinking as what to say next. This also reduced the pace of my speaking. I might not have or I did not come out very well as the toastmaster of the evening but even then I am very happy that it was so. I am happy because this time I was spontaneous, spoke slowly though at times, clung to my old habit, and still could make the audience laugh.

To be contd..

Au revoir

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
Unless otherwise expressly stated, all original material of whatever nature created by Ankur Shanker, and included in the Solitary Meanderer weblog and any related pages, including the weblog's archives, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 License.