Solitary Meanderer

Saturday, October 20, 2007

Life at Crossroads

A few years from now if I’d have to pick the most horrific one-year of my life, without any hesitation I’d say 2007 or the year when I was 25. I am going crazy with every passing day and the anxiety is just killing me. Before this I never knew that I could ever have a headache also and that too a throbbing please-shut-your-brain-or-go-kill-yourself headache.

The foremost reason is of course my inability to decide a certain career path for myself and believe me I’d rather go solve a problem of relativity than ponder over this. Well, let me list down all the possible options for me.

GoMAD option 1

I have an admission offer from
LSE (London School of Economics and Political Science) for its two-year program MSc in Economics. I had this admission offer for the session starting in September 2007. Due to insufficient or rather absolute lack of funding I have gotten it deferred for the next session i.e. September 2008. This is a super expensive program and for someone like me it’s outright unthinkable to attend LSE. I am doing all I can to secure scholarships/grants but again even that seems not to be in my favor. 90% of scholarships are for one-year taught masters only and the remaining ones will announce the selected candidates only in July/August. This is again problematic as I am required to attend the summer school at LSE for introductory courses in Economics owing to my non-economics background, and the summer school starts on 1st July. Another thing which could deter any scholarship agency to consider my application is that I have a conditional offer i.e. I need to get at least B+ in the two courses taught at the summer school. So, any scholarship agency would bet its money on someone who holds an unconditional offer of admission than on me, no matter even I am 110% confident of getting straight A’s.

GoMAD option 2

I have an experience of 2 years and 4 months in the Analytics industry. As such, I am capable of getting a very good paying job any time I decide to. And this is again killing me for I don’t know if this is really what I want. Of course I want the money but I want a break from the corporate world. I want to be a student for sometime now.

GoMAD option 3

MSc (Economics or any related field) vs. MBA – Now, this is crucial as known everywhere that the earning power of an MBA is much more than an MSc or for that matter an MSc would take 3-4 years to reach where an MBA gets to right from the start. To add to this confusion, I have no valid reasons why would I want to pursue an MBA, say, in a year or two, apart from the obvious monetary reasons. Again, to go for GoMAD option 3 would require me to opt for GoMAD option 2.

So, if any potential employer or member of the scholarship granting committee happens to be reading this let me take this opportunity to welcome you all in sponsoring/hiring me.

The win-win situation would be: Hire me – I will work for 6 months – Sponsor me – After 2 years, I will come back from LSE and work exclusively for you for at least 5 years.

By the way, I am an engineer specializing in Electronics & Communication, having been graduated from Delhi College of Engineering (Delhi University) in 2005. I have been working since then in the Analytics industry. I can be contacted through email at
ankur_shanker@yahoo.com and I would be fun to speak with at +91 9810 111 418.

Au Revoir

2 Comments:

At 10:21 AM, Blogger Sachin said...

You 've written that you dont have any reason for doing MBA apart from the monetary reasons, but do you have any valid reason for doing Msc apart from the one that you have an offer from LSE? If not, then I think you should not ponder too much. If you are good enough to get through LSE, I am sure you can get through any good B-school. Since you are not from either backgrounds i.e. Economics or Management, MBA or Msc should not make much difference to you as both the subjects are equally new to you and you would have to start right from the scratch.
Thousands of people get into b-schools without having any clear career path in mind, apart from the one that they want to earn huge salaries. Once you are there, you will automatically start developing inclination towards a particular field of management and all the reasons for doing MBA will start unravelling.
It would make sense for you to go for an MBA, incase if you dont get funds for LSE in due time.

 
At 11:00 PM, Blogger test Kapil Goyal said...

"I would be fun to speak with "

i just loved those wrds Shanker.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
Unless otherwise expressly stated, all original material of whatever nature created by Ankur Shanker, and included in the Solitary Meanderer weblog and any related pages, including the weblog's archives, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 License.