Solitary Meanderer

Sunday, November 06, 2005

Ques. Of Buying A Laptop - II

It has been exactly a week since I wrote the prequel to what I am going to write now. Apparently, the reason for this laziness happens to be my new lappy! As I told you earlier I am a pc game freak and I play only racing games involving cars. NFS, Need For Speed for those who are not familier with the gaming jargon, happens to be my favorite. My old pc i.e. the desktop pc could only play till NFS - Hot Pursuit 2. Not surprising because it has only 555 Mhz processor speed, 192 MB RAM and 16 MB VRAM. Often I would dream of happy days when I would be playing NFS - Underground & NFS - Underground 2 :) And the story goes that a week ago I got my hands on the latter one & since then, whenever I would start doing something on my lappy, inevitably I would start playing the game and forget all about blogging.

In the morning I went to my french class and returned from there at 10 . As soon as I reached home I threw myself on the bed and since then I have been sleeping like a log. I just got up a few minutes ago. There's nobody home but me and I dont feel like cooking something for myself. It would seem funny to you but the first thought that came to my mind when I woke up was to resume my game from where I had left it last night. Surprisingly, as soon as I opened my lappy to do the same I realised that I dont have that same urge to play the game, The Game, which has always been my favorite. I have spent sleepless nights just to complete earlier versions of NFS. And now when I have the latest or say just prior to the latest version, which is NFS - Most Wanted, I find myself bereft of all the enthusiasm and excitement to play that anymore. I think this is what you call 'transitions' in life. Something, which was so dear to you a minute ago has just been thrown out in the backyard and out of your conscious mind. It doesn't just concern you anymore. And I have seen the same thing or rather phenomena happening to human beings also. Person(s), who was so dear to you that you couldn't stop thinking about him/her all the time, who meant everything to you suddenly becomes a stranger to you. You don't care a penny if anything happens to him/her. And even if you do, I think that is more superficial rather than genuine. Wait a minute! this post is meant to be a sequel to my earlier one and so it will be..

I have just given another reason why did I go for buying a lappy. Of all the reasons, there is one most important reason, which I think will lose its essence if I told you that. So, let it remain a secret only. And hey! don't let your dirty thoughts becloud this lovely post. That secret has nothing to do with that. hehe!

In my college days, I used to get a pocket money of Rs. 3,000 per month, which included everything right from my mess and food bill to my phone bill, washerman's bill to course books, which I rarely bought and all the miscellaneous expenses, and I used to manage that pretty comfortably. My first job pays me Rs. 14,000 in hand per month and still that is not enough for me. On top of that I bought a lappy worth Rs. 57,000!! Now, comes the part how did I finance all that? To cut a long story short, I took a personal loan.

But getting that loan is not a short story. Have you ever realized that until you were in college or until you were completing your studies, you always depended on your parents for money. In my case, had my pocket money in college had been Rs. 4,000 or even Rs. 5000, I wouldn't have objected to that at all. And now, when I have started earning, I dont like taking even a penny from my parents. I think this is again one of those 'transitions', which come up in everyone's life though everyone may not realize that. Every newspaper you read, every TV channel you flick to, every radio station you hook to, every billboard you spot on the roadside and you will find a swarm of financial institutions bleating around and imploring you to take loan from them. You name a cause and they have a loan just tailored for you. Ofcourse, this is where the story just starts..

I thought getting a loan would be a cakewalk. The funny part is you can always get a loan but the trouble is getting it according to your terms. I thought all that was needed was to just shortlist the model that I wanted to buy, produce some documents and post-dated cheques and the lappy would be mine. But they didn't want to see only some documents, they wanted to see every document that I could lay my hands on, and not only about myself but also about my family as if instead of me, it is my family that was seeking the loan. In one case, I had to be working for atleast an year and in another, for atleast two years. Only then they would consider the case. As at that time I had been working for only 4 months, if there was one uniformity in the criteria for granting a loan, that was that I had to have a house of my own!! Now, how ridiculous is that? How a 23 year old boy, just out of college and working for only 4 months is supposed to have a house of his own? So, in that case my parents should own one, who fortunately do. Getting to the gist of this story, I finally got the loan. According to the terms, I paid a downpayment of Rs. 30,000, which my mom has lent me :) And I have to pay Rs. 4,750 every month for 6 months to the finance company, which I have already done in the form of post-dated cheques. Concerning the loan from my mom, I will be giving her Rs. 5000 every month. So, for the next 6 months I am going to be a pauper as I will be left with only Rs. 4,250 for my personal expenses.

Even after spending so much I am happy. And this is the state one should always be in. Tonight I and my elder sister will go for a movie and I seriously hope this one to be good unlike the last one, which was a total crap.

Au Revoir

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
Unless otherwise expressly stated, all original material of whatever nature created by Ankur Shanker, and included in the Solitary Meanderer weblog and any related pages, including the weblog's archives, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 License.