Solitary Meanderer

Saturday, December 03, 2005

The Ungrateful Dog

In the late evening, I was crossing a road. In the heavy traffic, it was difficult for even a normal human being to get to the other side of the road, let alone a normal and nondescript dog. I had already reached halfway and was waiting for the traffic from the opposite side to ease out before I could make any move. After a minute or so, I looked down indifferently and lo! there was a dog standing beside me.

I like dogs but I have never been so close to any one so that I may be able to predict their behaviour. From the perplexed looks on his face, it was clear that he too was trying to get to the other side. But which one? The one where I had come from or another where I was heading to. And his movements made it impossible to guess just that. First he would turn around and move his head sideways, probably anticipating for the traffic to stop. Next moment, he would change his mind and repeat the sequence of events, but this time facing the opposite side. And the next moment, he would just stare at me. Now, what in earth was going inside that little brain of his. Assuming that his brain size might actually be bigger than the average brain size of a human and the fact that he indeed had an intellectual air about him unlike other stray dogs, I thought that he was probably looking for a companion, who would take him to the other side.

Again, the same question haunted me..but which side? This time I resolved to find just that even if it meant my staying there a little longer. So, I did the same thing that he was doing to me i.e. even I started staring into his face. He did not disappoint me for as soon as I turned my gaze upon his innocent face, he flapped his ears as if to indicate that he was tired of this staring game and it would be better if I just helped him in crossing the road. How rude was that!! Here was a stranger and ofcourse a human being, with his benevolent desire to help another stranger, although a dog and he i.e. the dog was not even acknowledging this. He just wanted to get done with his business. As always, I am very bad at saying 'no'. So, as soon as the traffic cleared I dashed to the other side with the dog behind me. Not only that, he was also ungrateful for my services because after getting safely to the other side he did not even once turned towards me.

Alas! I think he must have been really busy. Anyways, I was happy for I had helped a dog in crossing the road.

Au Revoir

1 Comments:

At 9:36 PM, Blogger Ankur Shanker said...

Thanks Gangadhar!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
Unless otherwise expressly stated, all original material of whatever nature created by Ankur Shanker, and included in the Solitary Meanderer weblog and any related pages, including the weblog's archives, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 License.